Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Hi-Def Editing

  1. #1
    Inactive Member thelaughingduck2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 29th, 2003
    Posts
    221
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Can you edit hi-def footage on a DV editor?

    That's probably a stupid question, but I'm buying an edit suite for my computer to edit some DV short films, yet I'm going to get a hi-def camera in the next year with money my parents are giving me to make a film.

    Just that I wanna' edit on something I'm use too and don't want to fancy paying out any more money for a new editing suite.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 16, 2005 02:17 PM: Message edited by: thelaughingduck2001 ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member jbridges's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2005
    Posts
    88
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you are going with MAC.....which I suggest.....Go with Final Cut Pro HD. Good luck with your film. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Xendar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    268
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    To be honest there isn't much point thinking about HD at the moment if you're coming from a DV background. There are various HD formats but I'm guessing you're referring to HDV.

    HDV is great and there are cameras coming out at reasonable prices, such as the Sony HDR-HC1E priced around ?1000. The picture quality has to be seen to be believed. But there lies the problem. You need a Hi-def monitor such as a Plasma TV or specific LCD to view the footage. And at the moment the moitor will cost you more than the camera!

    The oher problem is that there are no HD DVD formats yet, and again I'm guessing that all you stuff will end up on DVD. So the final copy you give to your client/customer/friend/tutor etc will still be standard definition VHS or DVD - thus making the point of shooting on HDV irrelevant.

    Obviously shooting on HDV will future proof any work you do if it is to be edited in the future. But for now you might as well wait until the prices come down and it's viewable in Joe Public's home.

    Another thing to consider is that you need a mighty powerful computer to edit and play HDV. HDV video files aren't any bigger than normal DV video files but they are more highly compressed. This means the computer has to do a whole lot more number crunching to play or edit the files. If you're looking at a PC ideally you need a dual Xeon system. Not exactly sure what sort of Apple you'd need though.

    As far as software that will edit HDV there is:-

    Adobe Premiere Pro
    Apple FCP 5
    Pinnacle Liquid Edition 6.1
    Canopus Edius 3.5
    Vegas 5

    ... and Avid Xpress Pro HD will at some point.


    Hope this helps.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member TJ_the_director's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2004
    Posts
    131
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    from what I've learned you simply won't be able to edit HD footage on a non-HD edit system. It won't work period.

    on the other hand, final cut express HD ($299 USD) looks and works like Final Cut Pro/Express so the transistion is a piece of cake.

    I'd follow the advice of the other posters and wait a bit unless you have a truckload of cash to dump at practical problems along the way.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member assyrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 30th, 2000
    Posts
    411
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    iMovie HD is even cheaper

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Matty2phatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    To me the biggest issue with shooting high-def was the cost.

    A Sony F900 was renting for $2000 per day, and the guy was telling me that the expensive part is getting the HD monitors.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member TJ_the_director's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2004
    Posts
    131
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Matty2phatty:
    . . . the guy was telling me that the expensive part is getting the HD monitors.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">this is what the truckload of cash was for!

    [img]smile.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Matty2phatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ahhh, sorry about that [img]smile.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member thelaughingduck2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 29th, 2003
    Posts
    221
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks very much.

    Another question I have is this:

    The story I'm planning to shoot is a very gritty, urban tale. No questions about that, it will all make sense when I make my film and I don't want to give much of the plot away!

    But, when shooting at nighttime, will HD be able to shoot what I see: i.e, using natural lights (such as street lamps and such) will I get that orange hue real life gets.

    I know all about white balance and all that, but I also heard Rodriguez saying that HD technology lets you get every detail of everything you see.

    That's why I want to use HD with this film: to give an accurate view of life in inner-city council estates, not polished over or viewed through the filter of celluloid. Full-throttle, gritty and brutal. Just how it is where I live.

    Again, thanks for the help and anymore that comes with this post.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Matty2phatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Watch Collateral. It's a pretty good indication of what you'll get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •